Corn Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to corn products
Also known as maize, corn is one of the world's most widely distributed food crops. This cereal grain was first domesticated by people in southern Mexico more than 10,000 years ago. The leafy stalk of the vegetable produces ears that yield seeds of corn, which are fruits. An average ear, which is protected by a husk of tightly wrapped leaves, has 800 kernels on 16 rows.
Today, farmers grow corn on every continent except for Antarctica. It's America's top field crop, leading all others in volume and value. However, only 1% of the corn planted in the United States is sweet corn. The majority of the corn grown is field corn, which is used for livestock feed, manufactured goods, and ethanol production. You might be surprised to know that corn is in thousands of grocery items, such as shampoo, crayons, marshmallows, and toothpaste.
Corn has five different types of kernels, although you won't find all of them in the grocery store:
- Dent: This type of corn, also known as field corn, is easy to spot because the kernels have a dent in each crown. It has a high starch, but low sugar content and is not meant to be eaten fresh. Rather, it's harvested when the kernels are dry and then processed.
- Flint: Known as Indian or calico corn, flint corn is harder than dent corn. When you see decorative corn in the fall, it's often flint corn. Once the corn is dried, it can be used in polenta, cornmeal, and grits.
- Flour: Popular in the Southwest, flour corn has mainly soft starch. This allows the corn to be ground into a fine cornmeal.
- Popcorn: As the oldest type of domesticated corn, popcorn has kernels similar to flint corn. The popcorn kernel has a hard and brittle kernel that's almost glasslike. Once the kernel is heated, the moisture inside it turns to steam and builds up pressure to make the kernel explode.
- Sweet: This is the corn you're familiar with at the store. It has a high sugar content, making it desirable to eat, and is harvested while immature. That way, the sugar doesn't have a chance to turn into starch.
Corn Near Me
Buy your favorite corn online with Instacart. Order sweet corn, white corn, yellow corn, and more from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.