Potatoes Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to potatoes
Potatoes are varied and versatile food items. They make a perfect side dish or addition to any meal. Many types of potatoes are available, and their size, color, and shape will differ depending on the type you buy. Potatoes are tuber-bearing species that form as the root of the plant underground. They come from the nightshade plant family and grow best in cooler climates. While they can tolerate a light frost, potatoes are very sensitive to heat and don't fare well in hot climates.
The potato originates from the Andes and is thought to have been cultivated many times throughout history. It can be traced back almost 2,000 years to the Incan civilization. The Spaniards introduced potatoes to Europe during the 16th century. Today, potatoes are one of the main food crops grown all over the world. You'll find a wide variety of potatoes available in grocery stores, making it easy to find the ones you want for your next meal.
In fact, around 200 types of potatoes are sold in stores in the United States, but each type falls into one of seven categories:
- Russet: These potatoes have a thick skin with a light and fluffy center.
- Red: This type of potato has a thin skin and stays firm during cooking.
- Yellow: You'll find these potatoes have a creamy texture and offer a buttery flavor.
- White: These potatoes also have a thin skin and stay firm throughout cooking, but they have a nutty flavor.
- Purple: Distinguishing characteristics of this potato variety include a unique, vibrant color and an earthy flavor.
- Fingerling: This potato provides a firm texture along with a buttery flavor.
- Petite: Because these potatoes are small, their flavor is more concentrated than that of the other, larger varieties.
Take advantage of the Instacart app or use the website to order your favorite potatoes. Once you place your order, an Instacart shopper will bring it right to your door within the same day!
In addition to the many types of fresh potatoes you can buy, you can find them in prepared or precooked forms such as french fries, hash browns, or home fries. You can buy instant or dehydrated potatoes to add to a range of dishes, and despite what you might have heard, they're made with real potatoes. Most potatoes taste great, either baked or roasted, but how you cook them largely depends on the type of potato. No matter how you like them, Instacart lets you shop for potatoes from anywhere via an easy-to-use app!
Potatoes Near Me
Buy your favorite potatoes online with Instacart. Order creamer potatoes, eastern potatoes, fingerling potatoes, and more from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.