Mandarines Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to mandarin products
Mandarins are a citrus fruit cultivated originally in China. Mandarins look like a flattened sphere with a glossy, loose rind that varies from orange to orange-red. The flesh is segmented and orange. The number of seeds varies from variety to variety. Mandarins are a popular choice for snacking because their loose rinds make them easier to peel than other citrus fruits. Mandarins are often incorrectly referred to as mandarin oranges. Mandarins are not a type of orange but an entirely different species of citrus fruit.
More than 200 varieties of mandarins grow throughout the world. When you purchase bagged mandarins, the fruit included changes throughout the year, depending on which mandarin is in season. The most common mandarins on supermarket shelves include the following:
- Clementine and 'Algerian': This fruit has deep orange or reddish rind and a juicy, sweet flavor. These mandarins are usually seedless. Clementines originated in North Africa and are now grown extensively in California. Clementines are very easy to peel.
- 'Dancy': This fruit has a dark orange-red rind and a slightly spicy flavor and is smaller than other varieties with plenty of seeds. 'Dancy' is the traditional mandarin seen during the Christmas holiday season.
- 'Encore': This sweet, tasty mandarin has a spotted yellow-orange rind and is usually in the supermarkets during the spring months.
- 'Fremont': You'll find this medium-sized sweet clementine has plenty of seeds.
- 'Honey' and 'Murcott': This very sweet, juicy mandarin is among the smallest mandarins available. The 'Honey' mandarin has a thin, yellow-orange rind that does not peel easily.
- 'Kara': The 'Kara' mandarin is one of the largest varieties. Individual fruits vary in seediness, but all have a sweet, slightly floral flavor.
- 'Kinnow': This sweet mandarin is intensely fragrant with plenty of seeds. The 'Kinnow' is difficult to peel.
- 'Kishu': 'Kishu' mandarins are the size of a walnut, making them the smallest mandarin available.
- 'Pixie': 'Pixie' mandarins are mild, seedless, and easy to peel.
- 'Ponkan' and Chinese Honey Mandarin: This mandarin originates from India or China. The 'Ponkan' mandarin is closely associated with the Chinese New Year.
- 'Satsuma': Also called 'Unshiu' in Japan, this mandarin is slightly tart and peels easily. Satsumas bruise easily and are the most common mandarin used for canning.
- 'Wilking': The 'Wilking' mandarin is richly flavored and juicy, with an orange-yellow rind and flesh.
- 'Willow Leaf' and 'Mediterranean': With few seeds, this sweet mandarin is good for snacking.
China is the leading producer of mandarins worldwide. Seventy-five percent of the mandarins sold in the United States are grown in California. You can buy mandarins in the grocery stores throughout the year, but the peak season is during the winter months.
Mandarines Near Me
Buy your favorite mandarines online with Instacart. Order mandarines from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.