Malanga Root Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to malanga root
About malanga root
The malanga root is a root vegetable native to the tropical areas of central and northern South America. It was first domesticated in Central America, where it was discovered by Spanish explorers. They brought this potato-like vegetable to parts of the Antillean islands, including the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba. As the explorers returned home in the mid-1800s, malanga root eventually found its way to West and Central Africa.
Today, malanga root is a staple vegetable in Africa, Oceania, and Asia. This tube-shaped root vegetable is commercially produced in Central America and the Antillean islands and is widely available in many specialty food markets and grocery stores.
The malanga plant, also known as elephant ear, can grow as tall as 5 feet and has large arrowhead-shaped leaves. It's also been given the name "arrowhead root" due to its oddly shaped leaves. When the plant is young, the leaves are edible and can be prepared or cooked like spinach.
Similar to yams, potatoes, or taro root, the malanga root has an earthy brown skin and a conical shape. A single vegetable typically weighs 0.5 to 2 pounds and has variegated skin with patchy areas of brown.
The malanga root is a high-fiber, nutrient-dense food that offers many amazing health benefits:
- Allergy-friendly. The malanga root has not been shown to cause allergic reactions in most people. With the abundance of food sensitivities and allergies today, one of the primary benefits of this vegetable is that it's gluten-free. When dried and milled, it makes a great gluten-free flour alternative.
- High levels of B vitamins. The malanga root contains high amounts of B vitamins, specifically riboflavin and folate. Riboflavin, also known as B2, can help improve energy levels, boost immunity, and improve the health of skin, hair, and nails. Folate aids in protecting the heart, hearing, and eyes, and is essential in fetal development.
- Regulates blood pressure. Malanga root is an excellent source of potassium, which can regulate and lower blood pressure. It can also help to prevent heart attacks, strokes, kidney disorders, and muscle cramps.
- Contains complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are essential for bodies to create energy. With its high level of complex carbohydrates, malanga root satisfies your appetite and maintains healthy blood sugar. It also provides consistent energy with no sugar crashes, like those that typically accompany the consumption of simple carbohydrates.
- Low on the glycemic index. Foods that are low on the glycemic index tend to release glucose slowly and steadily into the bloodstream. These foods do not cause harmful blood sugar spikes like foods that are higher on the glycemic index.
Malanga Root Near Me
Buy your favorite malanga root online with Instacart. Order malanga root from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.