Eye of Round Steak Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to eye of round steak
About eye of round steak
Eye of round steak comes from the cow's rump. It's cut from the elongated muscle that sits in the center of the round, which is how it gets its name. Because the cow uses the muscles in this area frequently, the beef is lean and less tender than other cuts. Eye of round is a small cut, usually weighing about 6 to 8 ounces, and it's perfectly round. You'll usually find them in 4- to 6-inch cuts about an inch thick. Eye of round is also referred to as:
- Beef round eye
- Round steak
- Beef round boneless steak
Since this same steak has several names, it can be confusing when shopping for eye of round because they all refer to the same cut.
Eye of round needs proper preparation and cooking to taste good. If it's not done right, it will be tough and have very little flavor. If cooked correctly, it is firm but can be moist with a medium-intensity flavor. Eye of round is often cubed for stews such as beef stew, and it is perfect in a slow cooker. Because it is so lean, it is not a good steak for grilling.
Tough cuts of meat such as eye of round can deliver a delicious punch of flavor. It just takes a few steps to get them tender, including:
- Pounding: Pounding is a good way to soften and tenderize tough meat. Put the eye of round steak between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper, and use a kitchen mallet or something heavy to pound it before cooking.
- Using salt: Salt is good for more than just adding flavor. It is an excellent tenderizer because it breaks down the proteins. Instead of salting the eye of round right before cooking it, cover it generously in kosher salt and let it sit in the cold refrigerator for at least an hour before you plan to cook it. Rinse it under cool water, pat it dry, and then start your preferred cooking method.
- Marinating: Marinating an eye of round with an acidic marinade will tenderize the meat. For this to work, the marinade must have acidic ingredients such as citrus juice, buttermilk, vinegar, or wine. A marinade works better for thinner cuts because it doesn't penetrate as fully as salt does.
Eye of round is very versatile. In addition to slow braising or cooking it in a crockpot, ways you can use eye of round include:
- Make your own beef jerky.
- Turn it into ground beef.
- Use it for deli meat.
- Slice it thinly for stir-fry.
- Use it for cheesesteaks.
Find eye of round at a nearby store using the Instacart app, and add it to your cart. One of the shoppers can deliver it to your door in as little as 2 hours!
Eye of Round Steak Near Me
Buy your favorite eye of round steak online with Instacart. Order eye of round steak from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.