Unsalted Butter Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to unsalted butter products
About unsalted butter
Butter is a common dairy product used for everything from baking to pan-frying. You can use butter on its own as a condiment or spread, or make a delicious sauce with it. Unsalted butter is simply a butter product that doesn't have a significant amount of salt added to it. Unsalted butter may still contain a small amount of salt as a preservative, but there isn't enough salt to impact the taste.
Unsalted butter comes in many different forms, each with a different flavor and nutrition profile. The packaging can tell you a great deal about your butter. Some words that you may find on the label include:
- Cultured: To make cultured butter, live bacterial cultures are added to the cream after pasteurization. This gives the cream a tangy flavor. After fermentation, this cream is churned into butter. Cultured butter has a higher butterfat content and creamier texture than regular butter.
- European-Style: European-style butter is churned longer than American butter. Its butterfat content is around 85%, which is slightly higher than American butter's 80% butterfat content. In many cases, European-style butter is also cultured.
- Danish: Danish butter is a cultured European-style butter.
- Irish: Irish butter comes from the milk of pasture-fed Irish cows that consume more beta-carotene than many other cows. This results in a creamy, spreadable butter with a bright yellow hue and higher fat content.
- Grass-Fed: Grass-fed butter is similar to Irish butter in that it comes from cows that eat grass rather than grain. This butter has more omega-3 fatty acids, CLA, and vitamin K2. However, cows that are grass-fed are not necessarily allowed to roam or graze.
- Pasture-Raised: Cows that are pasture-raised are allowed to roam freely while consuming grasses. This butter has the same nutritional benefits as grass-fed butter.
- Organic: To be classified as organic, butter must come from cows that are at least 30% grass-fed. The cows are also exposed to less toxins, herbicides, and pesticides than dairy cows used for conventional butter.
- Whipped: Whipped butter simply has air whipped into it, giving it a lighter texture and lower calorie count.
- Vegan or Plant-Based: Butter that's labeled vegan or plant-based is not made from dairy products. Instead, it's a type of margarine that's made by combining water and plant-derived oils like coconut, avocado, or olive oil.
You may find one or more of these words on your butter packaging, giving you a more detailed idea of how the butter will look and taste. If none of the above descriptors are included on the packaging, you're most likely looking at an American-style conventionally made butter. This means that it probably has a fat content of around 80 or 81% and comes from grain-fed cows.
Unsalted Butter Near Me
Buy your favorite unsalted butter online with Instacart. Order unsalted butter from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.