8 Different Ways to Cook Eggs for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner
Eggs are the most pocket-friendly complete protein available. Eggs also contain Vitamin A, folate, B vitamins, iron, phosphorous, selenium, and carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin. Not only are they wonderfully healthy, but they are also easy to cook, too. Here are a few step-by-step instructions on different ways to cook eggs.
Four ways to cook eggs for breakfast
For good nutrition, fresh eggs are hard to beat. Start your day with high-quality protein eggs to keep your blood sugar levels stable all the way to lunchtime.
1. How to fry eggs: Sunnyside up
Possibly the simplest way to prepare your breakfast eggs. Grab your nonstick pan and some fresh whole eggs.
- Melt a knob of butter in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the pan.
- For a completely set white with a runny yolk, cook the eggs for about three minutes.
2. How to fry eggs: Over-easy
Follow the same steps outlined above. After three minutes, flip your egg over and cook for about thirty seconds. Remove the eggs from the pan and serve. If you like your fried egg with a not-so-runny yolk, cook for one more minute before removing it from the pan.
3. Different ways to cook scrambled eggs
Once again, the secret to successfully scrambled eggs is a decent nonstick pan.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk together with salt and pepper.
- At this point, there are differing opinions as to what to add. Some people add whole milk, while others like to add cream. The purists believe in adding nothing at all. Try scrambled eggs a few different ways and see for yourself which you prefer.
- Melt a knob of butter in your nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Stir occasionally until the egg mixture begins to set, three to five minutes.
- Serve immediately.
4. How to poach eggs
Poaching eggs perfectly takes some practice. Here are a few tips to help you on your way to making beautifully poached eggs.
- Break each egg into a ramekin containing a spoonful of cooking vinegar and allow it to stand for five minutes. This helps to prevent the egg white from spreading when you add it to the water.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer. The water should not be at a rolling boil as that will cause the egg white to spread and break apart.
- Gently slip each egg into the simmering water.
- For a soft poached egg, simmer the eggs for two minutes. For best results, only poach a few eggs at a time.
- Once the eggs are at the desired consistency, remove them from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Dry off on a kitchen cloth and plate up.
Two ways to boil eggs
A perfectly boiled egg is one of the most versatile foods. Enjoy them fresh from the pot with hot buttered toast for a wholesome breakfast, or pop them into lunchboxes for a protein fix on the run. Boiling an egg is fairly simple, but getting the yolk just right can be quite tricky. Here are two different methods for perfectly boiled eggs.
1. How to boil eggs: The cold-water method
Place eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Do not crowd the eggs. Bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cook the eggs for the following length of time according to how you like your eggs:
- Soft-boiled eggs: Boil for two minutes.
- Medium eggs: Boil for two to three minutes.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Boil for seven minutes.
2. How to boil eggs: The hot-water method
Fill a saucepan with enough water to cover the eggs once you put them in. Place the pan on high heat and bring to a boil. When the water has reached boiling point, gently lower the eggs into the water. Set a timer for the following number of minutes according to your preference:
- Soft-boiled eggs: Boil for three to four minutes.
- Medium eggs: Boil for six to eight minutes.
- Hard eggs: Boil for ten minutes.
Tips for boiling the perfect egg
- To prevent the egg yolks from discoloring, remove the eggs from the boiling water and place them in a bowl of iced water for a few minutes.
- For the best predictions of cooking time and to prevent the eggs from cracking, use room temperature eggs.
- Fresh eggs are easier to peel.
- Add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the cooking water to prevent the egg white from seeping if the eggshells do accidentally crack.
Two ways to cook eggs in the microwave
Eggs are so quick and easy to make, but if you want the process to be even quicker and easier, there are a couple of ways that you can cook eggs in a microwave. Cooking times will depend on the wattage of your microwave.
1. How to make scrambled eggs in the microwave
- Break the eggs into a microwave-proof mixing bowl. Add seasoning and milk or cream.
- Cook the eggs on high power for thirty seconds. Remove the bowl and stir the eggs well.
- Return to the microwave and heat for a further thirty seconds. Stir the eggs.
- Repeat these steps until your scrambled eggs are cooked to your liking.
2. How to make microwave poached eggs
This is one of the simplest ways to cook eggs. All that you need is an egg, some water, a mug, and a microwave!
- Pour water into a mug or a microwave egg poacher.
- Crack the egg and pour it into the mug.
- Poke the egg yolk with a toothpick. This helps to prevent the egg yolk from exploding all over your microwave.
- For a set white and runny yolk, cook your egg for about seventy seconds on high in a 700-watt microwave.
- You can cook two eggs at a time in two separate mugs. The cooking time may have to be doubled.
Tips for perfect microwave poached eggs
- Place a saucer over your mug before placing it in the microwave. This is to prevent having to clean the entire cavity of your microwave should your egg explode.
- Let the egg rest for a minute in the hot water. It will carry on cooking in this time.
- Drain the excess water off your poached egg by placing it on a paper towel before serving it.
Convenience is ordering your groceries online
If you like the convenience of how quickly you can cook eggs, you will love ordering your groceries online with Instacart. Select eggs, fresh produce, and nonstick pans from local and national retailers near you. A dedicated Instacart shopper will prepare your order for convenient, contactless grocery delivery or pick up within two hours.
Grab it now on Instacart:
Most Recent in Recipes
How To Thicken Mashed Potatoes [7 Easy Methods]
It’s no secret that mashed potatoes are a staple side dish for traditional dinners, holiday celebrations and even comfort food. But what happens when you add too much liquid and you're racing the clock to…...Dec 13, 2023
Planning & Prep
64 Best Salad Toppings for a Delicious Meal
Tired of eating the same old salad? It's time to mix up your salad toppings for some textural and flavor variety! Toppings like tortilla strips, croutons and nuts offer a pleasant crunch, while creamy, salty…...Dec 2, 2023
How To Eat Cottage Cheese: 15 Easy Cottage Cheese Recipes
Cottage cheese is having a moment — and for good reason. It's one of those versatile and nutritious foods that can transform any recipe into a velvety smooth treat. This dairy product is made from…...Nov 22, 2023