Heirloom Tomatoes Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to heirloom tomatoes
About heirloom tomatoes
Heirloom tomatoes get their name because they come from saved seeds that are at least 50 years old, with some that are well over 100 years old. The seeds are passed down from generation to generation. Commercial heirloom tomatoes are open-pollinated, which means they are pollinated out in the open by bees, birds, and insects without any intentional intervention. These tomatoes are special because farmers pass the seeds down from season to season in order to produce the best fruit. The process allows farmers to select seeds based on juiciness, shape, color, and size.
Heirloom tomatoes come in many different varieties, and you'll find them in all shapes, colors, and sizes. Some of the types that you might find in the store include:
- Brandywine, Sudduth strain: This Brandywine has a sweet flavor with a notable acidity to balance it out.
- Caspian Pink: The Caspian Pink has a similar flavor to Brandywine, with a more robust flavor.
- Prudens Purple: Prudens Purple is another Brandywine variety with a sweet and juicy flavor. This tomato has a lot of meat.
- Purple Calabash: The Purple Calabash is often compared to red wine. It has a rich taste with a perfect blend of acidity and sweetness. It has smooth flesh and evenly distributed seeds.
- Cherokee Chocolate: The Cherokee Chocolate is exceptionally rich with a complex flavor. It has a nice chocolatey appearance on the outside and the inside.
- Black Krim: This heirloom tomato has a purple and green color and an intense and slightly salty taste.
- Cherokee Purple: The Cherokee Purple gets its name from the dusky-rose color. It is a beefsteak-style tomato with rich flavorful flesh. It is delicious on its own or when added to sandwiches or salads.
- Black Cherry: Just as its name suggests, the Black Cherry heirloom tomato looks much like a black cherry. It has a dark purple exterior and a sweet flavor.
- Persimmon: This is one of the sweetest and most delicious orange heirloom tomatoes. It's meaty with a creamy texture and very few seeds.
Heirloom Tomatoes Near Me
Buy your favorite heirloom tomatoes online with Instacart. Order heirloom tomatoes from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.