Brussels Sprouts Delivery or Pickup
The Instacart guide to Brussels sprouts
About Brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts are believed to have originated in Ancient Rome. They did become popular in Brussels, Belgium, which is where they got their name. Today, they are very popular in the United States and Europe. The Netherlands is the largest producer of these vegetables.
Brussels sprouts are related to cauliflower, kale, and mustard greens as members of the Brassicaceae vegetable family. These healthy vegetables resemble mini cabbages that grow along 2- to 3-foot stems. When ready to be harvested, they are twisted gently off the stem and break away from the plant. While they have a bitter taste when eaten raw, they tend to be sweet and nutty when cooked properly. They do taste similar to cabbage but are much milder in flavor.
Brussels sprouts are very nutritious and offer a wide range of health benefits. Each cup of raw Brussels sprouts contains only 38 calories and 8 grams of carbohydrates. They are a great source of fiber and high in the following vitamins:
- Vitamin K. This vitamin is helpful in blood clotting and bone growth.
- Vitamin C. High in antioxidants, vitamin C fights damaging free radicals.
- Manganese. Manganese is valuable for both a healthy brain and nervous system.
- Folate. Also known as vitamin B9, folate is essential in making DNA and RNA and also metabolizing amino acids.
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A supports healthy vision, immunity, and cell growth.
- Vitamin B6. Also known as pyridoxine, this water-soluble vitamin is valuable in protein metabolism and red blood cell formation.
Along with being high in the vitamins above, Brussels sprouts offer several other positive health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants, specifically kaempferol, which reduces oxidative stress in your cells and lowers your risk of developing chronic diseases. Brussels sprouts may also aid in protecting you against cancer. Studies have shown that the antioxidants in these vegetables prevent cancer growth and increase the level of detoxification enzymes in the body. They may also help maintain healthy blood sugar levels due to their high fiber content.
Brussels Sprouts Near Me
Buy your favorite brussels sprouts online with Instacart. Order brussels sprouts from local and national retailers near you and enjoy on-demand, contactless delivery or pickup within 2 hours.